GUM plays an active role on the international arena:
- it represents Poland on the meetings of the General Conference on Weights and Measures (CGPM, Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures),
- it cooperates with the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM, Bureau International des Poids et Mesures) and with Consultative Committees (CCs) established by the International Committee for Weights and Measures (CIPM, Comité International des Poids et Mesures),
- it represents Poland in the International Organization of Legal Metrology (OIML),
- it is a member of the European Association of National Metrology Institutes (EURAMET e.V.)
EURAMET's major initiative towards European integration of innovation and research in metrology are: European Metrology Research Programme (EMRP) and European Metrology Programme for Innovation and Research (EMPIR).
- it is a member of the European Cooperation in Legal Metrology (WELMEC),
- it also cooperates with the following international and regional metrological organisations:
- Committee on Reference Materials (ISO/REMCO)
- International Commission on Illumination (CIE)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- International Colour Association (AIC)
- European co-operation for Accreditation (EA)
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO)
In the field of hallmarking the Office participates in:
- International Association of Assay Offices (IAAO),
- Permanent Committee on the Convention on the Control and Marking Articles of Precious Metals,
- Visehrad Group of Assay Offices (GV4).
Polish Regional Assay Offices participate also in the ‘Round Robin’ and the ‘Labtest’ research programs.